Psychology is the study of understanding human behaviors and mental processes. Cognitive Psychology is a branch of psychology, concerned about how information is being processed by the human.
Everything we see, feel, touch, taste, smell and do are coached in terms of information processing. Cognitive psychology supports major three fields of studies in Computer Science- HCI, AI and Machine Learning. It helps to bridge the internal information process of Humans with the external processing by the Systems.
The mental process of acquiring knowledge through the thoughts, experience, and senses is known as Cognition. Simply what goes in and out of the head during the day to day activities. Cognition includes,
Processes of Cognition
- Perception and Recognition
- Reading, Speaking and Listening
- Problem Solving, planning, reasoning and Decision Making.
Modes of Cognition (Types of Cognition)
- Experiential Cognition – It is a state of mind where we identify, act and react to the events around us, it needs a certain level of expertise or prior experience and engagement. Practically based cognition. for example,
- driving a car
- reading a book
- having a conversation
- building an app using the known programming language
- Reflective Cognition – State of mind where we think, compare and make decisions, it needs a certain level of analytical and reasoning skills. It leads to new ideas and creativity.Logically based cognition. for example,
University of Jaffna